The UW Brand
All University of Washington websites should follow the guidelines available at uw.edu/brand. The brand website has specific instructions regarding colors, fonts, and logos, and links to many resources, including a photo database and web page components.
The Departmental Implementation
Following the recommendations below will stay within brand guidelines and create a look and feel similar to sites in the College’s Department Web Framework. This will strengthen your department's brand and create a better experience for students, faculty, and other web visitors.
Arts & Sciences Header
- Include a purple band across the top with W and university wordmark on the left, and links to College of Arts & Sciences, Log in, and Search on the right. Use icons for log in and search links if possible.
- Include the department name (or site name) in the header, using Encode Sans Black in all caps.
- Position primary navigation horizontally below the header area
Use the following categories as top-level terms in your navigation, and organize all content into these areas. These categories have been tested in usability studies with many academic units:
- People (faculty, staff, grad students, alumni, advisory boards, leadership)
- Programs & Courses (program descriptions and degrees offered, requirements, course info, admissions)
- Study Abroad or Labs or Facilities (may substitute a major strength of your department here, if it does not easily fall under another nav item)
- Research (publications, projects, dissertations, student work, key fields of study)
- News & Events (present/upcoming, archive, newsletter, calendar)
- Resources (advising, scholarships, internships, career advice, organizations, facilities, intranet links)
- About (mission, history, stay connected, support us, contact us, other background)
Stay Connected and Support Us Links
- Include icons/links that invite visitors to connect with your department (mailing lists, social media, etc.) and donate to your department in the footer on every page
- Follow guidelines for departmental giving pages